Higher education opens doors to many perspectives and privileges. Unfortunately, many students fail to enter a prestigious university because of A levels and strict requirements of the boarding committee regarding the candidates. Moreover, the number of people willing to enter universities is growing from year to year. Access to higher education Bristol makes this rivalry less stressful due to the following advantages:
- It does not require all A levels to be completed
Students are stressed when getting ready for leaving qualifications and often experience the paralyzing adverse effect. As a result, they doubt too much or cannot remember anything because their brains block information because of exhaustion. Bristol committee understands that and does not judge students by the results of their A-levels. It accepts students who are in the middle of their A-levels, giving them a chance to learn more about university life and adapt to its realia.
Later, students feel less puzzled and meet all formal entry requirements when entering universities, thanks to the acquired knowledge and skills in the chosen scientific area.
- Time economy
Traditionally, students have to complete the sixth form or all 3 A levels to access course. This path is usually unbearable for people who want to change their careers. HE course speeds up the process, letting them get the desired faster and easier. Moreover, Bristol has special offers to diligent students to help them achieve their desires.
Overview of Access to HE Courses
Access course Bristol is an excellent chance to learn more about university life without pressure, thanks to the welcoming environment. Students feel as if they are at home there because of the created conditions and student-oriented educators and curricula.
Generally, courses are for local students who struggle to take their BTECs, A levels, and access to Bristol higher education courses. It lets students improve their application documents and overall learning experience. Moreover, one can be eligible for a Bristol interview or contextual offer that belongs to the top-rated universities in the United Kingdom. So, together, you can get ready for university challenges and be ready to handle them because your skills and subject awareness will make them as easy as pie.
According to the governmental requirements, people should have traditional qualifications to acquire a scientific degree like Bachelor’s, Master’s, Ph.D., and more. Access to HE course is for those who haven’t gone through this traditional way. For example, a person could leave school with poor grades or earlier due to life obstacles. Now, he or she wants to become a certified specialist, but the path from the beginning to their goal seems too long and complicated. HE courses help them realize their dreams despite their previous failures.
Furthermore, Bristol impresses with its inclusivity. Here are some facts to show its tolerance.
- Almost 21% of undergraduates were representatives of local Asian, Black, and Minority Ethics backgrounds in 2022.
- The city is the biggest in South-West England, with many international citizens representing 45 religious, speaking 91 languages, and being representatives from over 140 countries.
- The program supports BAME minorities with contextual offers and scholarships.
Bristol faculties run their own programs in different disciplines and offer online and offline education for representatives of different age groups with different educational backgrounds.
Available Access to HE Courses in Bristol
Candidates should choose the desired discipline for their access to higher education Bristol and apply for it. Afterward, they are divided into 4 groups with the following requirements:
|1||Psychology, Medicine, Sciences, Biomedicine, Health Studies||1)an Application form with information about the chosen award, Level 2 and 3 modules, and the already graded modules.2)Access Award titles3)a specific number of modules for the chosen grade, starting with 12 credits4)if no Access Award is found, it accepts qualifications like A-levels, Cambridge Pre-U, IB certificates, or SAH (Scottish Advanced Highers)|
|2||Computer Studies, Engineering, Science|
|3||Social Sciences, Humanities, History, Law|
|4||Social Sciences, Business, Education, History, Psychology, Law|
Speaking about the subjects and areas of study covered by access to higher education courses online, you should read this brief overview.
- Engineering and Computer Science. The stream of different types of Engineering.
- Science. Enjoy Earth and Environmental Sciences, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Geography streams.
- Arts and Humanities. The principal streams are Modern Languages, History, Film and TV, and English Literature.
- Social Sciences and Law. You can choose Law, Economics, Business, Social Sciences, and Childhood and Educational Studies streams.
- Life Sciences. It includes Biological Sciences, Biomedical Sciences, and Psychology.
Entry Requirements and Eligibility
To apply for access to higher education courses, you have to be eligible and meet the requirements.
- First, it is necessary to be in the first or second A-level study or the above-described equivalents (SAH, Pre-U, or IB).
- Second, you should live close enough to Bristol (not more than 1-hour commuting).
- Third, be a student of a local college or school.
- Some courses require six to 12 months of experience working in the related industry. It can be paid or non-paid job. The best option is choosing an organization or company a student wants to work for after graduation.
Sometimes, the subject stream gets too many participants. In this case, the committee can choose the representatives of BAME groups, over-21-year students, those who can have free meals or have spent several months in the care of local authorities. The official website lists available courses, so you can visit it to read all the requirements for each specialty.
Thanks to that, students can join the group of other mature learners who understand them because they also undergo a non-traditional school-college-university path.
Course Structure and Content
As mentioned, access to higher education course gives students without traditional qualifications a chance to enter a university and become certified specialists in the desired areas. It takes students one year to finish it and acquire the preferable soft and hard skills. Such access is recognized as an equivalent to traditional qualifications like A-levels. After that, students can go on to study to become more eligible for the top-ranked universities in the UK.
The Course Delivery
The delivery of all courses is the same. Traditionally, a student studies for three or four weeks with fifteen hours per week. So, it takes 45-60 hours weekly, depending on the chosen faculty. Students attend classes three to four days a week and devote twenty hours to sef-studies.
Instead of one-time exams, the tasks are divided into several assignments, exams, and coursework. It gives students a chance to do tasks gradually. Classes are catchy and easy-going due to group work, practical work, and presentations.
Speaking about modules and subjects covered within courses, one should study the guideline with courses. Here is some information to your attention:
|Business||Marketing, HR management, Finance, Accounting, Business Environments|
|Computing||Networking, Programming, Computer project management, Database design, Security, Professional practice|
|Construction||Technology of Construction, Construction Science and Materials, Measurement and Quantity surveying, Site Managment, Health and Safety|
|Creative Arts and Media||Film and Media Production, Professional Photography, Graphic Design with Digital Arts, Creative Arts Therapies Studies|
|Education and Training||Education and Training, Early Years (FdA), Early Childhood Studies Top-up Year, Educational Support, English Language Teaching to Adults|
|Engineering and Manufacturing||Mechanical Engineering, Electrical and Electronical Engineering, Aircraft Maintainance Training|
|Health and Social Care||Counselling (FdA), Counselling Top-Up Year, Health and Social Care Practice, Health and Social Care Management, Health Professions|
In all courses, students study the basic principles of subjects, develop professional skills, and prepare for higher education smartly. They learn how to find the balance and become experts without sacrifice.
Support Services and Resources
Access to HE courses involves numerous support services and resources.
You will get academic and pastoral advice from your tutor. There are interactive online resources, support groups, communities (cultural, spiritual, and religious), subject-specific courses, and workshops for faster accommodation. International students get access to Career Services.
Amiable ambassadors meet international students in stations or airports. Welcome Longue provides answers to all questions and introduces different activities and events. You can also ask about Visa requirements before arriving in Bristol and get support from the Students’ Union and International Student’s Officer.
Health and Well-Being
You can join sports teams and get professional help at Disability Services. Besides, you can access NHS medical care and get confidential support from free well-being services.
Progression to Higher Education
Access to higher education online offers various opportunities for students – beginning with higher education and ending with successful career growth. Enthusiastic and experienced tutors are involved in supplying you with nationally recognized courses. Diligent students get bonuses and recommendations to enter universities or colleges in Bristol due to their successful partnership programs and agreements.
In 2022, over 24K students were accepted to UK universities after finishing Access to HE courses. Here are some real-life stories.
- Jack came from Middlesbrough and immediately felt at home in Bristol. He chose the Palaeobiology course, and the Bristol Comunity helped him to realize his passion for Paleontology and become a Ph.D. specialist in this area.
- Suzi was from a low-income family, but Advanced Learner Loan helped her to enter a university after HE courses and realize her dream of becoming a doctor.
- Hager, a girl with Treacher Collins Syndrome, got support from Disability Services, finished medical HE courses, and entered a medical university in Bristol.
- Shokhan, a 35-year-old woman from Iraq who moved to Wales, applied for Access to HE in Bristol (Health Sciences) and entered a medical faculty in CAVC in 2020.
Funding and Financial Support
University access course might be expensive for students, so Bristol offers various funding and financial support programs:
- Advanced Learner Loan to pay for courses gradually or after getting a job
- Free tuition for students who apply for specific courses and don’t have a 2-level qualification are unemployed or whose salaries are below the stipulated threshold.
- Learner Support Fund is for students who need financial help to cover travel expenses, kits, trips, fees, and uniforms.
- Paying in installments for courses that last over six months and cost over 300 pounds.
- Bristol Bursary and Contextual Offer are HE schemes that one can successfully complete and get a maintenance bursary or become eligible for a contextual offer together with other candidates who are less historically likely to enter a university.
NOTE! Nobody can guarantee the desired support if a student applies late or cannot provide the required documents to prove eligibility for financial support.
Application Process and Deadlines
To apply for access to Bristol, you need to complete the following steps:
- visit the official website and click Apply button if you have GCSE in English and Math starting from grade 4;
- write a personal statement explaining your choice, experience, and plans;
- be eligible to apply for access;
- send applications in Autumn or Spring regarding the introduced schedules on Bristol’s official web page;
- choose the desired subject stream and be ready to become a diligent student;
- discuss your plans with your college or sixth form head;
- be ready to cover the tuition or get special offers if you meet the requirements;
- provide information about yourself, including ID data, educational history, contact information, and home address, and specific information about disabilities or being a minority representative.
Tip: When you write an application, you should advertise yourself slightly without exaggeration. It is better to mention relevant soft and hard skills and personal experience in the chosen area. An application must be well-formatted and laconic. You should demonstrate good writing skills and convince the committee to take you. To do this, describe your intended contributions to the chosen profession and how you can improve the world.
Access course to university is an excellent opportunity to enter a university being ready for its challenges. Students, who lack traditional qualifications, can pass courses and acquire the required skills and knowledge. Moreover, Bristol offers funding and financial support to eligible students. Explore the available options, meet the entry requirements, and pursue your educational goals through Access to HE courses in Bristol!